Prerequisites for Macs
You must have the following set up on your mac laptop:
- administrator rights on your laptop
- text editor
- Xcode command line interface tools [external link]
- Ruby [external link]
- Middleman static site generator [external link]
You must also have a GitHub account [external link] with access to alphagov at
Administrator rights on your laptop
Email email@example.com to request administrator rights on your laptop.
You must be a Government Digital Service employee to do this.
Install text editor
You should install a text editor to edit your content.
Install Xcode command line interface tools
These instructions assume that you are the Managed Software Centre on your Mac.
- Go to the Managed Software Centre on your Mac.
- Select Updates.
- Install all required updates.
- Search for xcode in the search field in Updates.
- Install Xcode x.x.x or update if necessary.
- Go to Apple Developer Downloads [external link].
- Search for “xcode”.
- Select the appropriate Command Line Tools (macOS x.x) for Xcode x.x and download the file.
- Install the file.
Ruby [external link] is installed globally. This means that you can run the install command from any location on your local machine rather than from within a specific folder.
Run the following in the command line interface to install the ruby version manager:
`\curl -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --ruby`
rvm install ruby-x.x.xto install the latest version of Ruby. The current x.x.x is
Middleman [external link] is installed globally. This means that you can run the install command from any location on your local machine rather than from within a specific folder.
Run the following in the command line interface to install Middleman:
gem install middleman